Colors can have a big effect on us, on our moods, spatial awareness, and even affect our physiological reactions. It is important then to choose the appropriate colors for our home. In this article we bring to you all the reasons for why white walls and various shades of white could be a great choice for you.
Due to the simplicity and neutrality of white, it is a great choice for any personality because it can be paired with any desired decoration or color. Most people associate white with purity, innocence, and cleanliness.
White indoors give us the opportunity to:
· Optically expand a space
· Increase the square footage of a room
· Let in more light without absorbing it
White was especially popular in the 1930s in the United States and Europe. The white walls and furniture represented aristocracy and wealth, indicating the status of homeowner. But let’s look at the various benefits of white and why it is the most frequently used wall color.
· Its biggest advantage is probably that it does indeed go with everything, every style and color of decoration, furnishing, and textile matches well with a simple white background.
· No other color will optically expand space as white does, so this classic color is an ideal choice for a small room with low square footage.
· A significant advantage is the lower price tags for white paints. Even among high-quality paints white is considerably cheaper.
· The color of your walls will not change over time. The wall color will not fade where the sunlight hits it, nor will it start turning yellow.
· White walls are also somewhat easier to repair, however; there may be differences between shades of white as well.
50 Shades of White walls
Many people do not consider white to be a color, but you would be surprised how many different shades of white there are.
Here are the most popular among my clients: Shell White, Paperwhite, Pure White, White Flour, White Heron, Extra White…
When should I use a warm white shade?
If you want to create a friendly and inviting ambiance in your home, choose a warm shade of white that contains a bit of red or yellow! These shades create a soft and relaxed mood, and they are ideal for a bedroom or living room. Since white reflects light well, warm white is an ideal choice for north facing rooms because they receive less light during the day.
Popular warm white shades are: Honied White, Summer White, Decor White or Paper White
When should I use a cool white shade?
Cool white shades have blue, grey, or green undertones, which bring a fresh and clean feel to the room. For a light and modern look opt for these cool shades to create strong silhouettes and sharp lines. You will see how perfect they go with complementary items and artistic decorations, even for an office!
Cool white shades are ideal for smaller spaces because they create the optical illusion of the walls receding, making the room look bigger than it is. They also neutralize bright light, so they are perfect for any bright south or east facing room.
Popular cool white shades are: White Mint, Site White, White Duck, or White Heron
Combine white shades for a sophisticated look!
If you want to get a little creative, try combining warm and cool shades! Cool white walls and a warm white ceiling, floor, and table provide the perfect backdrop for various modern styles of furniture, surprising complementary decorations, and a beautiful rug. This creates a classic look, which brings joy due to its sophistication.
Of course, you can get more adventurous and come up with more vivid contrasts. A light grey wall color is very popular among my clients these days, and a grey and white color combination can be a very elegant choice too.
Many would consider white walls boring and lacking imagination but let’s take a different approach. With a white wall you get a white canvas on which you can let loose your imagination just not with a paint brush but with framed mirrors, paintings, colorful wall clocks, indoor plants, flowers, and many more decorative pieces.
Some would complain that white walls get dirty easily and their children’s smudged fingerprints or their furry friends’ muddy paws show up on the clean walls in no time. However, you can say this about any wall color. On a positive note, washable paints do exist, which make it easier to maintain our white walls clean.
How to clean white walls?
To clean white walls, follow these steps:
- Prepare the area: Remove any furniture or decorations near the walls to avoid accidentally damaging them or getting cleaning solution on them.
- Dust the walls: Use a soft cloth or a feather duster to remove any loose dust or cobwebs from the walls. Start from the top and work your way down.
- Prepare a cleaning solution: Mix warm water with a mild detergent or dish soap in a bucket or spray bottle. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or harsh chemicals that could damage the paint.
- Test a small area: Before applying the cleaning solution to the entire wall, test it on a small, inconspicuous area to make sure it doesn’t cause any discoloration or damage.
- Clean the walls: Dip a sponge or soft cloth into the cleaning solution and wring out any excess liquid. Gently wipe the walls in a circular motion, starting from the top and working your way down. Be careful not to saturate the walls with too much water, as it can damage the paint or cause it to peel.
- Remove stains: For stubborn stains, you can use a mixture of baking soda and water to create a paste. Apply the paste to the stain and gently scrub with a soft cloth or sponge. Rinse the area with clean water afterward.
- Rinse the walls: Once you have finished cleaning, dampen a clean sponge or cloth with plain water and gently wipe down the walls to remove any residue or soap.
- Dry the walls: Use a clean, dry cloth or towel to pat the walls dry. Ensure they are completely dry before moving furniture back or redecorating the area.
Note: It’s always a good idea to consult the manufacturer’s recommendations or check the paint type on your walls before cleaning them, as some specialty paints may require specific cleaning methods.
Get a quote!
I will quickly take care of your indoor painting needs with quality materials and 10+ years of experience!
With years of experience and quality materials, I work fast to complete your interior painting project!