Maybe you finally have decided to commit to a home renovation and would like to update and refresh the rooms. Great! Now you face the decision of working with wallpaper or paint. It is worth considering the time frame you must work with and how durable or long-lasting you would like the results to be. Well, it all depends on your taste because beautiful results can be reached with either process. However, in this post I will try to give you a starting point to help you decide.
Wallpapering misconception: Wallpaper is a solution to cover up mistakes
A lot of people decide to use wallpaper because they think it is just a fast stick-on solution to cover cracked, dirty walls. This is a powerful misconception. Wallpaper placement must be well planned and prepared correctly. The wall, if damaged, requires repair, sanding, dust removal and prepping of the wallpaper – It must be correctly hung so the result is a consistent pattern and level. Wallpaper does not stick to greasy, dirty surfaces, so make sure it is properly cleaned. When it is time to hang the wallpaper, make sure you have enough time to work slowly and consistently without stopping for long amounts of time. Worst case scenario is that the job was not prepped correctly and all the hung wallpaper peels off the wall!
Wallpapering requires more diligence than painting
You must pay attention to the appropriate adhesive, application thickness, drying time and of course hanging the wallpaper itself. It must be hung straight, and each sheet must properly fit together to reveal a consistent pattern from floor to ceiling and around the diameter of the room. After purchasing the wallpaper rolls as well as the tools and materials, you will see that they usually add up to more of an expense than painting.
However, if the hanging is done correctly and depending on the quality of wallpaper – this route can prove to provide a more durable surface with washability in addition to being colorful and ornate. Wallpaper can be an escape within your home, transforming the walls into a calming waterfall, a bustling city , or even bring the beauty of a rainforest to your room! This is a good option for those who paint with difficulty and can have a beautiful final result.
Pros of Wallpaper
Wallpaper can add a touch of elegance and personality to any room. Here are some advantages of choosing wallpaper:
- Design Options: Wallpaper provides an extensive selection of patterns, textures, and finishes, allowing you to create a unique and customized look for your space.
- Camouflage Imperfections: If your walls have minor imperfections, such as cracks or uneven surfaces, wallpaper can help conceal them and create a smoother appearance.
- Durability: High-quality wallpaper can be more resistant to wear and tear, making it a suitable choice for high-traffic areas.
Cons of Wallpaper
While wallpaper offers a variety of design options, it also has its drawbacks:
- Higher Cost: Wallpaper tends to be more expensive than paint, particularly if you opt for premium materials or intricate patterns.
- Difficult Removal: Over time, you may want to change your wallpaper. Removing old wallpaper can be a challenging and time-consuming task, requiring the use of specialized tools and techniques.
- Limited Color Choices: While wallpaper provides a range of patterns, the color options may be more limited compared to paint.
Connecting my article I recommend to your attention : Wall sickers are in
Painting Pros and Cons
Of course, there is also preparation required with painting – however you do not have tackle adhesives and rolls of wallpaper. Painting is a very involved process but can be made painless by investing in appropriate and good quality materials.
The device for shopping I give in this article useful tips : Wall Painting Tools And Equipment – What You Will Need For Interior Wall Painting
When painting, the fume of the paint tends to linger – but there is special no VOC options available that eliminates the inhalation of dangerous emissions. If moisture or mold is a problem in your home, investing in a quality mold/moisture resistant paint proves to be a help at keeping these at bay – especially in the bathroom.
If your wall surface is damaged, you can easily fix it with spackles or other repair options and touch it up with paint that exactly matches the existing color.
With paint, you can choose any color you want to freshen up your walls, as well as the sheen of the paint: anywhere from flat to satin/eg-shel or even a durable semi-gloss. You have the option to create a new pallet by upgrading to accent walls or new trim colors. Last year’s most popular colors were various shades of gray with white trim.
Pros of Painting
Painting is a classic and versatile way to transform any space. Here are some advantages of choosing paint:
- Endless Color Possibilities: With paint, you have an infinite palette of colors to choose from, allowing you to achieve your desired look precisely.
- Flexibility: Painting offers the flexibility to change colors whenever you desire, making it easier to keep up with evolving trends or your personal preferences.
- Cost-Effective: Painting is often a more affordable option compared to wallpapering, especially if you plan to do it yourself.
Cons of Painting
While painting has numerous benefits, there are also some considerations to keep in mind:
- Labor-Intensive: Painting can be time-consuming and physically demanding, especially if you have a large space to cover or intricate details to work around.
- Preparation and Maintenance: Properly preparing the surface and maintaining painted walls is crucial for longevity. This may involve sanding, priming, and periodic touch-ups to keep your walls looking fresh.
- Limited Textural Effects: Unlike wallpaper, paint doesn’t offer the same range of textures and patterns, limiting your design options.
How to prepare the wall for painting?
If it has been a few years since the wall was originally painted, you will likely need to examine the previous layer closely. If you see that the paint is peeling off, or it comes off easily by scratching with a fingernail, then unfortunately you will need to remove the paint layer. But why not just paint over it? Well, we already know the previous layer is not adhering correctly and adding more paint will only contribute to the bad adhesion problem by blistering, creating an obviously uneven surface. At this point I highly recommend consulting a professional on the next steps before repainting.
Can I paint over wallpaper?
In many cases, yes! For example, painting the wallpaper in the bathroom… However it is important to first check the wallpaper type and condition before painting. Are there any repairs that need to be made first? Is the paper peeling up and the glue is exposed? If so, you must repair it so you will be painting over an even surface. You can paint over some types of wallpaper just fine. Natural and sawdust wallpaper coverings can handle a layer of paint well if you simply want the room color to change. But keep in mind that there are many types of wallpaper you cannot paint over! Check with a professional to make sure you know what you are dealing with beforehand.
Think about the room environment you are going to renovate
Consider the elements of the room you want to wallpaper or paint. Rooms with high moisture, such as a bathroom, and little ventilation are a big factor. If you choose to hang wallpaper, you must make sure you have a way for the glue to dry and the paper itself can withstand the strain of high humidity. Paints on the other hand provide more washability and have mold resist options to provide better protection. In the kitchen, paint is also more resistant to grease and detergents and can be wiped off easier than most wallpapers. Regardless of how the rest of the wall is covered in each room, the sink, shower, and baking areas need to have real tile.
Which should I choose? Wallpaper vs paint?
If you have no idea where to start, it is worth asking a specialist for his opinion. In Florida, around the Saint Augustine area, I will measure the square footage for your home renovation and will give you my professional advice. We will discuss what you want to do, how much material is needed for each room, the procedures you will need to get started, and this how much it will cost. That way you can avoid the unpleasant surprises or pitfalls .
Call me with confidence 1(904)217-9681 – Petre Hando local painter! Together we will decide what is the best painting solution for you!
Related blog articles:
Three Steps to a Successful Home Renovation
Paint Sprayer vs Roller? Pros and cons
How long does it take for interior paint to dry?